It’s that time of year – time to visit the elderly parents!
You’re glad you’re going because, you know, you love them and all and they may not be around forever. But are you already getting antsy thinking about sitting around in that dusty house having the same conversation you’ve had for twenty years?
Time to shake things up – for the better!
I didn’t grow up with your parents — so they are interesting and funny to me. Can they be so to you?
Here are some out of the box conversation starters:
- What’s the craziest thing you ever did?
- What’s the craziest thing you think I ever did?
- What did you hide from your parents when you were young?
- Have you ever loved to dance? Make art?
- Any family skeletons in the closet that you’d like to share? No? Shall we make some up?
My favorite way to get out of the conversation rut is to make a fresh compliment:
- I’ve gotta hand it to you for still being willing to cook for us when we visit. Can I sneak a peek at that recipe?
- You always look so fresh and put together. Thanks for showing the world what well-dressed looks like!
- I never told you how I admired you for sticking to your physical therapy after your knee replacement. When I have mine done I’ll have a high bar to reach!
So go forth to this visit like you were going to a cocktail party. Who are these mysterious guests, what are their unique experiences, and what surprises lay in store?
See also: Joy With Our Mothers Now
Certified Senior Advisor, Geriatric Care Manager
Care is There Geriatric Care Management in Charlottesville and Staunton Virginia
434.326.5323 ext 2