My parents’ friend Porter shared with me the clever system he devised to simplify the process of filling the pill organizers for his wife’s medications. Thanks Porter!
You can adapt Porter’s approach for your own situation.
Here’s Porter’s method:
- Organize the medications in groups based on the frequency with which they are taken. Examples:
- AM and PM
- AM only
- PM only
- All other
- Buy stickers of different colors, big enough to write on but small enough to fit on the tops of the med bottles. Choose a color for each frequency. For example:
- AM and PM: Green
- AM only: Yellow (for the sunrise!)
- PM only: Orange (for the sunset!)
- All other: white
- Note: for people who are color blind, you can use sticker shapes rather than sticker colors to distinguish the frequency.
- Write the frequency on the stickers using a Sharpee pen.
- Example: write “AM and PM” on the green stickers.
- Apply the stickers to the tops of the medicine caps. If the caps have raised writing that prevent the stickers from adhering, you may need to use tape to secure the sticker to the lid.
- Put all the medications in a shallow box or basket. By looking into the box you can easily see which medications go in the morning section of the pill box and which go inn the evening section.
- Fill the pill box as follows:
- Use rubber band to hold up flaps
- Start with twice a day pills–fill those portions of the pill box
- Fill all AM pills
- Fill all PM pills
- Fill all other: i.e. M W F of Sat only
- Close all flaps
- Use rubber Band to cover time not next for taking pills–Band PM side for morning taking, then cover AM side for evening taking.
Porter also has a smart way to organize his medicine cabinet. He organizes medications by use and labels each section of the cabinet.
If you are concerned about a friend or loved one in Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, or Staunton Virginia or Overland Park Kansas who can’t properly manage their own medications, Care is There Geriatric Care Management can help. We work with clients to develop solutions that work for them, and since we live nearby we can check on your loved one in person.
For more information about our geriatric care management, lifestyle coordination, and the services of our Aging Life Care Management professionals, visit careisthere.com or contact us at 800.434.1633.