Why Arrange a Medication Review?
Many older adults take multiple medications prescribed at different times by multiple physicians for both chronic and acute illnesses. Additionally, many older adults have vision or cognitive deficits that prevent them from understanding and implementing medication changes.
These challenges increase the risk that your loved one’s medication regimen may not be optimal for them.
Therefore, it can be very helpful to arrange a special appointment with your loved one’s doctor or pharmacist to review medications, doses, and methods of consumption to determine if they are still appropriate. This is also a good time to review potential side effects and to identify if any of the medications are known to be risky for older adults.
Since medication affects older adults differently than younger people, it’s especially helpful to have your medication review done by a physician with geriatric care experience or a senior care (geriatric) pharmacist.
What is a Senior Care Pharmacist?
According to the American Academy of Consulting Pharmacists:
- Senior care pharmacists specialize in geriatric care and understand the complexities that seniors face when it comes to managing their medicines
- Senior care pharmacists review their patient’s medications to ensure appropriate, effective, and safe use
- Senior care pharmacists identify, resolve, and prevent problems that are related to your medications
- Consultant pharmacists’ services are paid for in a variety of ways and may be covered under your insurance. Contact individual pharmacists to inquire about their billing and payment methods.
How Care is There Can Help
If you are not able to be present for a medication review with your loved one’s doctor or pharmacist, Care is There can help. We can:
- Make the appointment
- Attend with your loved one and bring their current medication list and medical history
- Communicate the doctor or pharmacist’s recommendations to you, and
- Help your loved one integrate the change into their daily routine
Need help arranging a medication review for your loved one?
Contact Care is There today for a free consultation!
Central Virginia: 434.326.5323
Toll Free: 800.434.1633
- How to Advocate at Medical Appointments for Your Elderly Loved One
- How to Help Your Loved One Remember to Take Their Medications
- Is Your Loved One Taking Their Medications?
- Medication Management